Other folks take a more casual approach, turning to a few convenient and trusted sources for the information they need in advance of a big game. These individuals often have busy schedules and just want a quick preview of the upcoming contest.
At Devils In Detail, we strive to serve a diverse group of followers within the ASU athletic community. In addition to the in-depth analysis we’ve provided on the match-up between the Sun Devils and the Stanford Cardinal, we offer the following succinct article: 5 Things to Know About Today’s Game (some information courtesy of thesundevils.com).
1. Arizona State enters the weekend ranked No. 23 nationally in both the AP and Coaches Polls, marking the first the team has been ranked since Oct. 30, 2011, when they were No. 20 in the AP Poll. The Sun Devils are fresh off a dramatic victory against Wisconsin (32-30) and a trouncing of Sacramento State (55-0).
2. Stanford comes into the game ranked No. 5 in the nation in both the AP and Coaches Polls, and is currently 2-0 this season with wins against San Jose State (34-13) and Army (34-20). With those victories, Stanford now has a winning streak that dates back 10 games to last season.
3. The Sun Devils and Cardinal will each be making their Pac-12 debuts this weekend, becoming the fifth and sixth teams in the conference to do so. ASU is 6-3 in its last nine Pac-12 openers and winners of the last two (over USC in 2011 and Utah last season). Saturday’s contest features the first Pac-12 bout of the season between two squads currently ranked in both of the major polls.
4. ASU is 16-11 all-time against Stanford but has struggled on the road, compiling just a 6-7 record all-time and going just 1-5 since 2000 in Palo Alto. The Sun Devils have dropped the last two contests to the Cardinal, a 17-13 defeat in Tempe in 2010 and a 33-14 loss in Palo Alto in 2009.
5. The ASU-Stanford matchup will kick off at 4 p.m. on FOX. The game will also be broadcast on 92.3 KTAR FM, where coverage begins two hours prior to kickoff. In addition, the game will be broadcast on Sirius and XM Channel 91, and aired nationally by Sports USA Media.