The Arizona State Sun Devils were back on the Kajikawa practice fields Friday, August 23, after a day off for the start of classes to begin regular season practices. The following are some notes and observations:
- Before practice, during individual stretches, Coach Todd Graham spent a little bit of time speaking with the group of media members watching practice. Graham asked about the media’s perception of the ASU offense, and then mentioned his delight with the improvement of running back DJ Foster.
- Graham also mentioned that Chris Young, Alden Darby, and Will Sutton were players that have expressed interest in being coaches when their playing days were finished.
- Graham had some good things to say about linebacker Chris Young.
- Finally, Graham also spoke a bit about his coaching staff and system. He mentioned that he’d prefer to bring guys up that are already familiar with his system.
- There seemed to be some emphasis on ball protection during individual drills. Both quarterbacks and wide receivers were working on holding onto the ball.
- Not much change in the first group on offense or defense during 11-on-11s except for the fact that Gary Chambers was seen on the sideline — not on the field — during team drills and talking to a trainer. It didn’t seem like an injury, but rather that Chambers could have lost a contact.
- The team had players wearing gold jerseys for the scout team today; one player not wearing a scout team jersey was freshman linebacker Chans Cox. It’s a good sign that the Arizona native appears to be on track to play a role in his first year.
- Junior Dom Vizzare appears to have locked up the punter job, coming in with the first group for punts. Freshman punter Matt Haack has struggled slightly for the past few days, having punts go off the side of his foot.
- The Sun Devils moved in to the Verde Dickey Dome as the practice closed to the media.