Wednesday, August 21, was the final day of two-a-days for the Arizona State Sun Devils before the start of the regular season on September 5. Devils In Detail staff writer Bill Slane filed the following report from the team’s late practice on the Bill Kajikawa practice fields:
- It appears that the situation on the offensive line has officially settled as it was the same group again with the first team offense on Wednesday. (From left to right) Evan Finkenberg, Jamil Douglas, Kody Koebensky, Vi Teofilo, and Tyler Sulka seem to have solidified starting positions at the moment.
- The linebacker position also appears to have settled with Carl Bradford, Steffon Martin, and Salamo Fiso again appearing with the first team defense. Head Coach Todd Graham also mentioned linebacker Chans Cox as a freshman who could see some significant playing time and he stood out to me as an imposing-looking player during his time with the second team.
- Jaelen Strong, who continues to see reps with the first team, had a drop in traffic today during 11-on-11 drills.
- During a goal line drill, reigning Pac-12 defensive player of the year Will Sutton showed some enthusiasm after the first team defensive stopped the second team offense from scoring. Yelling several times after the stop, “Not in here!”
- During a ball protection drill for the quarterbacks, redshirt sophomore Mike Bercovici turned to a photographer who was taking pictures of the drill and asked him if he caught the pitchfork he had thrown up with his free hand during the rep.
- Bercovici also appeared to injure his knee after a rep of the same drill, limping slightly and favoring his right leg. However, he finished the drill without issue and almost immediately lost the limp.
The team will have the day off from practice on Thursday, August 22, due the start of classes at ASU, and then will return to the practice fields Friday morning.