Devils In Detail staff writer Bill Slane filed the following report from the team’s late practice, which was in pads and took place in the bubble (Verde Dickey Dome):
- One of the first players I spotted was Will Sutton, and for good reason. Sutton is an intimidating-looking human being, especially after putting on some extra weight this off-season. Some have asked whether or not Sutton will lose any of his quickness after the weight gain. If Sutton has lost a step, it wasn’t noticeable in practice.
- Fresh off the news of a shoulder injury, which will reportedly keep him out 3-5 weeks, freshman safety Marcus Ball was at practice wearing a sling and a green jersey. He observed much of the on-field drills.
- In the team’s first set of 11-on-11 drills, Taylor Kelly was on the sideline in favor of Michael Eubank (who took a sack in the drill). Kelly was on the field for at least one snap in the next set of 11-on-11 drills before the media portion of practice concluded.
- Coach Todd Graham seemed to be spending a lot of time with the linebackers and defensive linemen during practice.
- Chris Young, Steffon Martin, and Carlos Mendoza were on the field with what I would tentatively call the first team defense at linebacker with Carl Bradford.
- Tight end Chris Coyle made a couple of nice grabs down the seam during 11-on-11s.
- JUCO transfer Jaelen Strong was on the field first on offense during 11-on-11s and didn’t flash much of his receiving skill.
- Third string QB Mike Berocvici demonstrated his ability during last night’s during drills, making some very nice looking throws.
The team is currently scheduled to be on the practice field tomorrow, followed by two practices on Wednesday. It will then take the day off on Thursday as classes begin.